Friday, September 10, 2010

Week 2 and I'm getting tired

It is Friday of the second week of bear season, and it has been extremely frustrating. I had a hunter attempt a head shot on a really big bear, and clean missed, shooting to the right. I asked her why she took a head shot as we never instruct a hunter to attempt this, and she relied, "he was looking at me". Dam!! Other than that the weather has cooled down nicely, with quite a bit of rain and drizzle which should make the bears move and hungry. Everyone tells me, " thats why it is called hunting and not killing", which I realize, however it does not do much to suppress the stress I put myself under to try to do more. All in all 14 bears have been seen, which is good, however when it comes to numbers for a guide service, I just simply feel, it doesn't count. It is so hard when we go to the sports shows and folks ask, "how did you do last year?" I often don't know what to say, but have always believed that the truth is best, and honesty the best policy. However when it is so important to book hunters which make or break this business, such truths can hurt as folks will simply think, "well, they can't be very good guides and outfitters if the numbers are not there." This upsets me as we work so very hard and try our very best. Although, I also say that if you try your very best you can never really fail and must think of that and just keep going with fingers crossed that tonight will be the night, and the hunters will all be successful.
The first week we had 8 hunters and we were extremely busy, using our further sites out as we had the longest hunting time to take advantage of. This week we have 4 hunters, and have lost 15 minutes of hunting time. We are working with basically a skeleton crew of 2 guides, me and Mr. Coyote, 2 workers, Big E and Jeremy, and my Mom helping out in the kitchen. There is a lot to do and I think more than what folks think. I'm starting to slow down and feeling quite fatigued with still 2 more weeks to go. I hope we book full for next year so that I can hire some more help, and make further achievements and progress on the new lot for the future lodge. I really believe that a lodge will change the game and attract a larger clientele as well as opening new avenues to become a year round full service resort. We could keep going as we are, but one must decide what one wants, and to actually make money, one must go up the ladder so to speak. Therefore, we made that decision when we went into contract on a 100 acre parcel with full view of the mountain and range. The picture attached is the view we will enjoy.
Well must get busy once again, getting things ready for the evening lunch, then hopefully picking up some hunters with bears!!

No comments:

Post a Comment