Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Camera, ACTION

I don't quite know what to title this post, so I'll write it first and then add one. Big E and I went out bird hunting a couple days ago and revisited a few of our bait sites as E wants to set a cable trap for bear with the high intentions and hopes of targeting one of the huge bear that our hunters were unsuccessful in taking. My very first bear was taken by way of cable trap in 93, and being fortunate enough to have trapped a big bear, I had never thought about taking another bear until many years later, and then did so from a treestand over a bait site. Big
E trapped a very nice boar bear back in 08, the same year I got my 350 pounder.
We took a couple of the game cameras and after checking a few sites, he decided on the old faithful 410 and 310 sites. Both of these sites had 400 pound plus plus bears working on them. Checked the cameras yesterday and both are working and both with the big bears. We also had been talking about making a video on bear trapping so this morning after all is up and coffee down we will begin the video by going over the equipment, then off to the bait site to set the trap.
Maine is the last remaining State to allow bear trapping. Up until just a few years ago we could still use the traditional steel jawed trap, but after another battle with the anti's the laws changed to only allow the cable trap with a lock stop which allows smaller animals to pull free. Big E even goes one step further adding another stop so that he will only target a very large bear. We also used to be able to set out 2 traps, and now the law states only one. However the cable trap is very effective and in many ways more humane than the steel trap.
Of course trapping is not a sport for everyone. I truly believe it takes a special person to run a productive trap line. Trapping has a very long tradition and heritage in the Katahdin region and although many of the old trappers have passed, there are still a few, Big E being one.
I'll admit, back when I trapped my first bear, when I came around the corner of the small overgrown field where I had placed the cubby set and looked at the massive animal I thought, " Now how the hell am I gonna let you go?" Well I knew that was not a possibliity unless I wanted to get shredded so I did what I had to do. I ran traps with Big E for many years and have had my share of incidents so to speak, like the time I got caught myself in a brand new 220 conibear wired and chained to a tree. Now let me tell you that was a predicament!!! It took me 10 minutes and dam near a broken hand to get loose!! Anyway, I have found that enjoy the conibear or killer type traps better than leg hold trapping. I know that coyotes and such need to be controlled and trapping can be a very effective way to help in that management. I have no problem with those who run lines of foot holds, it just isn't my thing. I go with E when he runs his, and I have no problem and enjoy being there, it's just my preference, a personal thing. Also I absolutely love fox; they are beautiful sleek critters and I really don't like dispatching them as they look way too much like my shiba inu's.
Well to make a long story short here, Big E will be setting his trap and I will be his faithful camera lady and hopefully we will have an end product to run on our web site and take to the sportsmen shows.
Camera......ACTION!!

No comments:

Post a Comment