Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Successful trapper

 I had my trap set for 5 nights and even ended up relocating before being successful. My bear weighed in at 175 pounds; a young boar. Now some thoughts on this. Had I been hunting over bait, I would have passed up this guy. However that is a known part of the game in trapping. You get what you get. I'm very glad it was a boar as I really hate to see the young sows taken out of the breeding program. As a guide, I feel I am as much a conservationist as a business owner. We have had sows with cubs feeding on our bait sites and when we are aware that they are frequenting a site, we continue to feed them, however we will not place a hunter there in order to protect her to insure she raises her cubs. We also use different areas so as not to over hunt an area. If several bear are taken in an area, we begin looking for bear sign in the spring, and through the baiting period and may decide not to hunt that area for a year. This creates another issue of having enough areas and sites to maintain the number of clients. This was one reason we had branched out to the new area in Webster Plantation this past year. This also created another problem as that area was only feasible  to hunt the first two weeks due to decrease in hunting time. I will have a shoulder mount done as his head and neck is really pretty, and is easier to place on any wall. We are rapidly running out of space for all of our mounts with 2 bear still at the taxidermy to be 3/4 mounts, which is the front legs, shoulders, neck and head. I call it a 1/3, but what do I know about taxidermy. Once we get the big lodge built we will probably think we need lots more, but for now space is getting extremely limited. 
Well, thats all for now. I will try to post more often, but then again it's trapping season, which will lead into deer season.....well maybe after that I will have more free time.
 

1 comment: