Wednesday, October 20, 2010

In the shadow of Katahdin

I set my bear trap yesterday while Big E put out a couple coyote and fox sets. We checked everything this morning and caught nothing. Bear trapping ends the 31st, so time is running out quite quickly and I think the bears have migrated to the abundant apple trees which in this neck of the woods can be found most anywhere. Many years ago much of the area was farmlands and every farm had apple trees. These areas have grown up into forest once again and the apple trees, along with the help of Mother Nature can be found throughout the woods. I have been very surprised that the apples are so plentiful with as little rain as we had all summer, but it seems to have been a bumper crop. I will continue to keep trying, however the game cameras which were showing us awesome bears and now the bait sites are riddled with the midnight masked bandits and the native tricksters.
It is getting much colder in the mornings here in the region. The mountain is sporting a fresh white blanket and we now have had several frosts which should get the bears thinking about bulking up before winter hits. Therefore it stands to reason that they should be hitting the bait sites for the free goodies even with what nature has provided. I'm sometimes amazed as a bear is a very habitual animal as well as one of easy opportunity, that they will feed on natural foods before taking advantage of what we are putting out there. You are always hearing, and I'm sure it is true to some point, that feeding bears will cause problems in areas. Parks have problems with bears all across the U.S. breaking into vehicles, dumpsters and harassing campers. However it is somewhat frustrating when we have been feeding the bait sites since the end of July, and yet, the bears will go to the orchards and scattered apple trees first. This puts an interesting spin on things and I will put some time into studying that very fact. Watching and studying wildlife never fails to amaze me, which is probably a good thing considering the line of business I'm in.
The Katahdin region has peaked and fallen to the other side as far as the fall colors which are beginning to mute to yellows and browns, with just a few brilliant reds and oranges left here and there. It still is beautiful and every year as the seasons change I can't help thinking how lucky I am to live in such a beautiful place. I even enjoy the winter with it's crisp cover of white that sparkles like diamonds in the sunlight. Winter has it's purpose and with my wisdom I have come to understand it all for what I believe it is meant to be. I could not imagine living in a place where the seasons are not defined in such a way.
I have been reading more on the folklore of the region, refreshing the many stories I have heard told over the years. It has always been said that Katahdin is the mountain of the people and those who live here, the people of the mountain. You do not have to be a Native American to have that status here, even though the Native Americans have always considered the mountain a sacred great and powerful spirit among their people. However, there has always been a pull on those who live here; people from all walks of life in this great melting pot. There is so much history here and it never ceases to amaze me. However it is a statement that I heard on a PBS film a while back that came to light once again in the book that I'm currently reading; how some have a pull, draw, a special feeling inside whenever they gaze upon mighty Katahdins range, a feeling of truly belonging. I have always felt that way. I often call Katahdin mine although I don't own it personally, but in another sense, I do. I have no title, but am entitled. I could not imagine ever moving away and when I'm away I can't wait to get back. I feel at peace. I read once many years ago, words of wisdom in a lesson to a granddaughter from a tribe elder. She placed a rock in each of her granddaughters hands, one taken from the shore of a nearby brook, and one that had come from another place in the world. She told her to sit quietly, close her eyes and "feel" the stones in her hands. One felt kind of hot, the edges stung just a bit, and the other felt smooth and cool. It was not because one had edges, and the other smooth and round that they felt differently, but because one was in a connection with the girl and her surroundings, and the other was from many miles, many moons away. The lesson was when one is where they belong, then everything is connected in harmony; everything feels right, and when it does not, then one must search for the place where they belong in order to live in harmony. I did this many years ago after having read that book. I picked up a rock that was simply at my feet and one from a flower bed that had come from a bag bought at the local hardware store. I sat quietly, closed my eyes and concentrated on how the rocks felt in my hands and was quite amazed when the white marbled decorative rock did indeed feel like it was stinging, and the other, smooth, cool, yet warm. I belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment