Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!!! So how was 2010 anyway????


                This is the time of year that most of us stop, take a look over our shoulders and ask ourselves,” How good of a year was 2010? Kind of like a progress report.
                Therefore how did we do with last year’s resolutions before we start making any new ones! I resolved to not let any opportunity to enjoy the outdoors pass me by. I think I did pretty well. I went snowshoeing more times, although the cross country skis’ stood in the corner. However this was due to the fact that I need a new pair of boots.
                I resolved to get out on the water with the kayaks more. Done!! I went out at all times of the day, with the early morning mist rides being my absolute favorite “me” time. I explored new waters and managed to get my best friend out for a day to the Twin Lakes. That day in fact was one of the best of the summer!
                I resolved to go fishing on a whim. I left the house work behind, packed a lunch for all who came along and I went fishing!!! I had evenings that I put my feet up, kicked back, and played photographer way before gorgeous sunsets because I had already limited out with a beautiful catch of native brookies’! Try to top that!
                I resolved to spend more time in a treestand and considering that I sat out with two of my hunting clients, during bear season, I also sat out the complete fourth week of season. I did not get a bear over bait this year; however I did manage to trap a nice one hundred and seventy five pound boar with an awesome thick wooly coat. I thanked the Great Spirit for the gift and wasted not a thing.
                The last resolution I succeeded in keeping is by far the most important and the most rewarding; I shared these things with others! First of all, I shared these times with my biggest fan, Big E. I mentioned my day with my BFF. However the best time of the year was when a special young man joined us on an expedition to my little piece of Heaven on Earth, Nesowanehunk Lake.  Nick Cote accompanied Big E, myself and Chet “the other Fly Rod” Crosby for an evening of kayaking and fly fishing. We loaded two of our kayaks on top of the sixteen foot fishing boat, “The Nymph”, and headed out for an afternoon and evening of pure bliss. It could not have been any better as Nick had never been kayaking or fly fishing. I have always said, “Take someone outdoors”! Nick not only caught on quickly to kayaking, he caught his limit of trout that evening as well! Nicks, younger brother has joined us in the outdoors this year for the first time, just having turned old enough to hunt.
                An honorable second best event for 2010, goes to my good friend Linda Crosby, for the good memories we will always have when we look back at the moose hunts. Linda succeeded to take her second Maine moose in September with a wicked nice bull. We have enjoyed many a Bar-B-Que of moose burgers and Ktaadn Chili!
                The year was blessed with many more wonderful moments. Nick and his Dad, Peter “Coyote” Cote, classmate and fellow guide, joined us once again for bear season. We had a couple surprise visits from two couples from Pennsylvania that have become good friends through the hunting world that warmed the heart. I had two new lady hunters and a new youth hunter for bear season; I always view that as an accomplishment.
                There were a few bumps in the road; a pothole here and there. My alias “Blackcloud” visited here and again. I still stressed too much claiming I work well under pressure. However, overall I would rate the year on a scale of one to ten, a wicked good nine!! Happy New Year folks!!!!

1 comment:

  1. This is my January column for Outdoors Magazine, but I really felt it was quite appropriate for this posting. I hope you enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete