Monday, January 17, 2011

Preparations!

Things have been a bit slow here these last few weeks and I haven't thought of a lot to write here.....happens sometimes. However things well be changing starting this week as we gear up to prepare for our adventure to Harrisburg Pa. for the biggest sports show in the Northeast. There are several shows going on and many guides and outfitters will run the circuit. I think of it and it makes me tired!! I could not imagine basically being gone from home for 2 months going all over the northeast setting up and tearing down to go to the next one. I also wonder as I'm very aware at the cost of these shows let alone the cost of gas, food and lodging while away, how some of them do it. For us, it is extra hard to leave home as we have our animals and we heat primarily with wood. We have to set up a sitter for the dogs and house. I have anxiety like many folks and hate to leave home for any period of time. I have a good time once we get there as long as things go well. I call home a lot to check on things and go from there. Drives Big E crazy sometimes as my nemesis/Alias Blackcloud often emerges full force. Also, twice I have come down with a bad bug and was absolutely miserable. I didn't even want to go to the show, but Big E would not go alone. I would sit in one of the folding chairs in the back of the booth, trying to breath, stop the world from spinning and my guts from rolling. To put it in perspective, I was not is a good place, nor having a very good time. So I wish for the best and take what I get.
This year will be difficult as the gas prices have sky rocketed once again. We downsized to the Ford Ranger mainly for better gas mileage, and the fact that it was newer than the 2 other vehicles/trucks we have. I would not dare to make the venture with the 98, as she is now 13 years old and I have no confidence on her performance so far from home. However, we will be paying just as much to fill the Ranger and we did the full size 98 that did make the trip 3 times. No savings there!! I do wonder what it will come to, as we do not have the option of public transportation in our region and I have already cut my trips to town quite significantly. Blackcloud emerges.....
I have to do some painting on the front display of our booth, have a few new pictures blown up for the exhibit display and get things in general packed such as the brochures and business cards. Must take out the luggage bags and start thinking about what to pack so that I'm not doing it last minute. However I have always said that I work well under pressure and tend to procrastinate badly. Oh well, we will see what I can accomplish!! I also have a meeting tonight for the Penobscot County Wildlife Conservation Association and Thursday is the Fin and Feather Clubs annual fish fry, of which I'm making a big salad for them. So I have plenty to do....must get busy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment