Saturday, January 8, 2011

Winter Wonderland

Everything is covered this morning with a fresh frosting of fluffy white snow, with more possibly on it's way this coming Wednesday with the seasons second Nor-Easter that could drop a foot of snow if the storm tracks right. Big E and the boys have been occupied trapping live rabbits for a beagle club down State, and a few beaver as well. Last Spring Big E trapped 53 beavers locally which have been causing havoc with land owners. Some don't realize that beavers are not only great workers...but they destroy roads and forest. Do they create an ecosystem with their ponds, well yes. However the damage usually out weighs any habitat they create, by destroying others.
There is not enough snow in general for snowshoeing currently, and I need to check to see if cross country ski trails have been groomed. Not that one needs groomed trails but they are very nice. Ice conditions are improving, however as reports have come in, there is still great dangers on the waters. A four wheeler went through the ice on Long Lake even after they checked ice depths that were from 4-7 inches. The ice depths are not universal and can go from 7 to 0 in just a matter of a few feet. Any waterways with a current, I would not even consider trying yet. We have had warm temperatures with rains off and on and have not had an actual period or sub zero temps to make good ice.
I have so many preparations to do for our upcoming trip to Harrisburg which will be on a shoestring this year. The gas costs are estimated to double with current prices defeating the fact that we purchased the Ford Ranger for better gas mileage. We will be paying as much for the little truck as we did for the full size 98 that made the trip 3 times. This is frustrating as I'm trying to figure out ways to cut costs, but can't really see an end to the battle.
I enjoy the show and have a good time for the most part when I'm there. We have met so many great folks and it has become like a big reunion in a way with the friends we have made. However, I'm not a good traveler and tend to be a homebody. Therefore Big E has caved and is letting me take my akita Ozwald once again with us. I have no idea how I'm going to fit him in with the little truck which was the one reason he has not gone with us for the past two years. I'm much calmer having him with me even though I do truly miss those left behind with a sitter. Yes we have to have a sitter for the dogs when we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment