Sunday, July 25, 2010

Just another day in Bearadise!

It is slightly overcast this morning with a little rain throughout the night which was needed. I sit here quietly as everyone else is sleeping in; a rainy Sunday you know is always an excellent reason for that. The cock of the woods, AKA the pileated Woodpeckers are hollering from the trees. We have 3 pairs of them that hang around and have now for many years. They are the largest of the woodpecker species being almost 2 feet from beak to tail with bright red markings on their heads. I have so much on my mind with yesterdays latest developments which are so exciting, and then just thinking of everything that needs to be done for the coming of bear season. I'm not sure if all the projects will be completed, but things will be ready for our guests to arrive. The bears have not been back to the bait shed for a few days, so no messes to clean up in the mornings before the dogs go out. However they have been getting into what we call "the stink bait", which is just as it sounds, "Gross"!!! It is buckets of meat that have been allowed to decompose. Big E calls it, "the call of the wild"! We place it out on the bait sites only the first time we tend the sites and it calls in the wildlife alright! We have kept the buckets away from the house, placing them in the woods at the bottom of our field and the bears have been carrying them off! We have retrieved several in various states of condition. Thankfully, we will be taking them into the woods on the 30th!!!! I'm quite sure the neighbors may be thankful as well, although no one has inquired.......Now if I were a bear I'm certain I would go for the pastries before I would want stink bait!!! Well I can hear Big E stirring...time to start another day in bearadise!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment