Monday, August 30, 2010

Early morning moments

The weather has turned back to hot and not as cool at night as the weather man said. I do not believe it was in the 50s last night as it was stated it would be. This time of day for the next 4 weeks are the only moments of quiet I will have to put thoughts to words. I have put the coffee on, let the dogs out, got dressed, vacuumed and made muffins!!! Now with a hot cup of coffee at hand and my absolute favorite piece of electronics at my finger tips, a moment....
Our last guests coming from Maryland finally arrived last night about 10:30pm. They had been on the road all day and stuck in a traffic jam on the George Washington bridge, and a few other places along the way. They were exhausted when the got here, but arrived safe and no worse for the wear. We have 8 guests/hunters this first week. 3 of them have been coming for 6 years now and brought one friend with them. The other 2 are from Connecticut and we met them last year when they were hunting with another guide service. I know that maybe that doesn't sound very good, but often when one has a not so great experience but they love hunting, they seek somewhere else to come back to in the area. Mike and Rick, who are my repeaters, met them while at the local sporting shop, got talking and brought them down to meet Big E and I.
SQUIRREL!! I can hear him chattering and the shibas are off and running!!! LOL!!
So anyway, we have a great bunch of folks here this week, and such a good way to start the season. I will be going out and sitting with the young lady archer from Maryland. She had asked for that service when we met them in Harrisburg at the sports show. She has never bear hunted and is a bit uneasy, however I think she will be just fine and most likely will only need my services for a night or two at the most. She and her husband work with big time race horses and I truly hope that for all their hard work that they win the triple crown someday soon!!! Mr. Coyote will be sitting out with our second youth hunter and once I'm freed up I will switch off with him to give him a break. Peter is a very good friend of ours. We went to school together and have been neighbors for a very long time. He has been an awesome help to us in so many ways. When Big E was in the hospital in 02, and Katelyn was still in school, had it not been for Peter, I don't know what I would have done. He kept an eye on Kate, let my dogs in and out, made sure they had food and water, and kept the wood fire burning so the house would not freeze up. He has come to our rescue many times, and gives the meaning of a true friend. We love him and his family and I think they are more like our own family than some. Won't get into that one, LOL!
Oh and I would like to say we were delivered a goodie basket yesterday from my friend Joy, who brought down some of her jams and jellies for the hunters breakfast!!! I can't wait to try the apple butter on toast!
So we are looking forward to a great first night and I hope I have lots of pictures to post in the morning. My Mom will be here to help with the big dinner, roast pork with all the fixings and strawberry shortcake for dessert! Yum, Yum!!! Until tomorrow......

No comments:

Post a Comment